Incite is in alpha alpha stage. It's useless, don't install it.
Incite is available as a ruby gem.
gem install incite
- Note: This syntax is very experimental, and will likely--no, definitely--change in a radical way (see overview).
First you need to instantiate a source you want to cite:
source = Incite::Source.new # => #<Incite::Source:0x8c5f0>
Configure the source with the bibliographical data. The minimum required attributes are title, author(s), publisher, and year.
source.authors = ["Sam Dandy"] source.title = "A Brief Flirtation" source.publisher = "Rainbow Unicorn Press" source.year = 1985
Yes, I just made all of that up. I should have been a writer. Now you can cite your source:
source.citation(:entry) # => "Sam Dandy. <em>A Brief Flirtation</em>. : Rainbow Unicorn Press, 1985."
If you try to create a citation when this data is missing you'll get an error.
source.title = nil # => nil source.citation(:entry) # => ArgumentError: Source lacks attributes required to construct citation
Most citations require more data, viz. page numbers.
Other future plans
- Integration with various bibliographies (Google Books, Amazon, &c)
- Citation text (for annotated notes/bibliographies)
- Source types (book, article, chapter &c)
- Different type of formats (to_s, to_rtf, &c)