Psi IM – Qt-based XMPP client
This program is licensed under the GNU General Public License. See the COPYING file for more information.
Psi IM is a capable XMPP client aimed at experienced users. Its design goals are simplicity and stability. Psi IM is highly portable and runs on MS Windows, GNU/Linux and macOS.
Psi IM is minimal but powerful. There are keybindings for just about everything, Unicode is supported throughout, and contacts are cached offline. Security is also a major consideration, and Psi IM provides it for both client-to-server (TLS) and client-to-client (GnuPG, OTR, OMEMO).
WebKit version of Psi IM has few additional features (in comparing with basic version of Psi): support of animated emoticons, support of (adium) themes in private chats and group chats, support of previewing of images and videos in private chats and group chats, etc. But if you prefer old fashioned plain text chats from era of IRC heyday, then basic version of Psi IM is your obvious choice.
WebEngine version of Psi IM is identical to WebKit version of Psi IM in supporting of extra features, but it has some pros and cons:
- Better work with embedded video (in chats) in MS Windows.
- Worse integration to system. (It does not use system theme in GNU/Linux.)
- Support less amount of compilers, systems and CPU architectures.
- Stability issues in macOS.
See CHANGELOG file.
See INSTALL file.
In 2009 a Psi IM fork named Psi+ was started. Project purposes are: implementation of new features, writing of patches and plugins for transferring them to upstream. As of 2017 all active Psi+ developers have become official Psi IM developers, but Psi+ still has a number of unique features. From developers point of view Psi+ is just a development branch of Psi IM which is hosted at separate git repositories and for which rolling release development model is used.
Currently the development model looks like this:
- Psi IM versions should look like:
Yare not digits but numbers).
- Psi+ versions should look like:
Zare not digits but numbers).
- All development of Psi IM (bug fixes, new features from Psi+ project) are done in
masterbranch of psi repository and its submodules. Each commit to it increases
Zpart of Psi+ version to one.
- At some point of time new release branch is detouched from
masterbranch (for example,
release-2.x, etc.). All new releases (git tags) will be done in it. Necessary changes from
masterbranch to stable branches should be cherry-picked or moved manually. Do not forget to merge release branch into
masterafter adding of new git tags.
- All new features are come into master branch of main Psi+ repo. Each commit increases
Zpart of Psi+ version to one. Sometime later they will be moved to Psi. It may require different amount of time.
- All patches in main Psi+ repo should be prepared against
masterbranch of psi repo.
- After each new release of Psi IM new git tag with the same version should be created in main Psi+ repo.
- Psi IM plugins are developed separately. Plugin API in
masterbranches of psi and plugin repos should be in sync.
- All translations are prepared for
masterbranch of Psi+ and are (semi-automatically) adapted for Psi.
- 2017-now, Sergey Ilinykh <email@example.com>, Psi IM and Psi+ projects
- 2010-2017, Sergey Ilinykh <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Psi+ project
- 2009-2010, Justin Karneges <email@example.com>, Psi IM project
- 2004-2009, Kevin Smith <firstname.lastname@example.org>, Psi IM project
- 2001-2004, Justin Karneges <email@example.com>, Psi IM project
There are a lot of people who were involved into Psi IM and Psi+ development. Some of them are listed in license headers in source files, some of them might be found only in the history of commits in our git repositories. Also there are translators, makers of graphics and just active users. We are thankful to all them.
How you can help
As we (intentionally) do not have nor beta versions of Psi, nor daily build builds for it, you are invited to use Psi+ program for suggesting and testing of new features, and for reporting about new bugs (if they happen).
Comments and wishes
We like constructive comments and wishes to functions of program. You may contact with us in XMPP Conference <firstname.lastname@example.org> for discussing of your ideas. Some of them will be drawn up as feature requests in our Bug Tracker.
The work of translators is quite routine and boring. People who do it usually lose interests and their translations become incomplete. If you see such situation for translation to your native language, please join to our translations team. It is extremely welcome!
There are many ways to contribute to the Psi IM project, if you think you can do a better job with any of the Psi IM graphics, then go right ahead!
Patches are welcome! Contact to Psi+ team if you are working on them.
If you want to prepare personal builds of Psi IM and/or Psi+ for MS Windows and macOS systems, it is very welcome! We may distribute them via our official projects on SouceForge.net: psi, psiplus. Becoming an official maintaner for these systems is more complicated, but also possible.
For GNU/Linux and *BSD systems the situation is quite clear: just update packages (pkgbuilds, ebuild, etc.) in official repositories of your favorite distributions or make a Personal Package Archive (PPA) with them. We will add links to it into our documentation.
If you want to donate some money for development of Psi IM and Psi+ project, it is possible. See related info at official websites. Thanks!
- Psi IM builds for end users (executables)
- Psi IM plugins (sources)
- Psi IM plugin for VoIP and video-calls (sources)
- Psi IM translations (sources)
- Psi+ project (official website)
- Psi+ builds for end users (executables)
- Psi+ extra resources (iconsets, sounds, skins, themes, etc.)
- Psi+ snapshots (sources)
- Psi+ translations (sources)
- Qt configuration tool (sources)