Zed is a utility made to help manage environment configuration during deployment and afterwards.
- The purpose is to have Zed track a certain deployment directory on a server, manage environment configuration settings, automatically locate and verify dependencies.
- In the world of .net, for example, the following will be initially included :
- Database connectionstrings
- Msmq queues
- Urls of WCF Endpoints and/or other api datapoints (...more with plugins/configuration/next versions)
- Thoughts of Additional dependencies
- IIS version compatibility
- Socket/port binds usage
- Automatic mapping of projects, their dependencies and relationships using zero-configuration scanning of the deployment directory.
- Setup of initial dependency store and comparison to store on each deployment to detect new dependencies
- UI display of projects graph
- Centralized and per project views of configured dependencies (see 2.)
Thoughts of features
- Tray icon alerting unknown/new dependencies deployed (rescan on directoryChange events)
- One click deploy of service - Zed could provide dependency verification, in addition to queue creation, service or IIS site installation (autodetect framework version according to config)
- process watchdog -> notifications / nagios integration
- web UI
- custom actions on component types (example : toggle WCF tracing on dot net config file)
Need help with
- Creating a website for the project
- everything in "Thoughts of features"
- suggestions and ideas