Geektool script for SurplusMeter
SurplusMeter is a broadband monitoring tool for Mac, for those of us with limited data plans.
Geektool is an awesome utility to customize a Mac desktop with all sorts of useful (or plain eye candy) information.
I exceeded my monthly data plan today, and decided to write this script for displaying a summary of my broadband usage on my desktop.
- Download the script somewhere.
- Go to System Preferences -> Geektool.
- Drag-n-drop a new "Shell" type of Geeklet.
- In the "Command" field provide "python /path/to/broadband_usage.py" with the correct path to the file.
- Since the script uses python string formatting, it seems to format correctly when using a fixed type font like Monaco or Courier, and a little disturbed otherwise.
- "Month so far" shows the broadband usage data for your current monthly cycle, based on the starting date provided to SurplusMeter. The "Limit" is the total monthly broadband limit.
- It shows data in MB only. Feel free to tinker with the script if you prefer GB.