- snmp_rndc_stats.pl is a Perl command-line utility which will allow you to display Bind9 stats via SNMP. A Network Monitoring solution such as Zenoss or Nagios can then use those stats to build graphs using RRDtool representing DNS stats.
- This software is licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0. A copy of the licese is also available in the LICENSE file of this repo.
snmp_rndc_stats.pl should be executed on the server running your Network monitoring solution such as Zenoss or Nagios.
Ensure firewall access has been granted on your Bind9 server to allow SNMP connections from your network monitor.
You may test the output of snmp_rndc_stats.pl, by running it manually. However, the output is meant to be passed to SNMPD. Therefore, the output may appear to you as a useless string of numbers without a newline at the end.
--success Prints rndc success stats.
--referral Prints rndc referral stats.
--nxrrset Prints rndc nxrrset stat.
--nxdomain Prints rndc nxdomain stats.
--recursion Prints rndc recursion stats.
--failure Prints rndc failure stats.
--all Prints all rndc stats.
- The only errors generated are file open errors. Carp confess is used to generate a backtrace of any resulting errors.
- There are currently no attributes for this cookbook.
- As previously mentioned, this script is meant to send output to SNMPD. However, the following optional commands are supported:
./snmp_rndc_stats.pl --success ./snmp_rndc_stats.pl --referral ./snmp_rndc_stats.pl --nxrrset ./snmp_rndc_stats.pl --nxdomain ./snmp_rndc_stats.pl --recursion ./snmp_rndc_stats.pl --failure ./snmp_rndc_stats.pl --all
snmp_rndc_stats.pl expects the following to present on your system.
/usr/sbin/rndc # Your rndc binary.
/var/named/data/named_stats.txt # Your rndc stats file.
- If you have things installed in different locations, such as Bind9 in a chroot/jail environment, and would like to use this script, we would graciously accept a patch! Perhaps your patch could use GetOpt::Declare to accept locations of rndc binary and stats file as cmd-line options.