This project contains the analysis of data from the Australian Common Reader Project in the form of snippets of R and SQL code as well as some resulting graphs and tables.
Importantly, the actual data used in this analysis is NOT included in this project as I do not have the rights to redistribute it. The references to SQL databases and tables are for a local copy of the MySQL database I was given access to by the ACRP.
The rest of this file is some notes I made for myself while learning about the database and analysing it.
A few libraries are required in R to run this code:
*_schema.txt in the
db directory are dumps of the MySQL database
by the query in the
describe.sh shell script.
I turned the important parts of these schema into a PDF file
db/table.pdf -- using OmniGraffle 5. The
.graffle file is also
Several tables are created during analysis so as to speed things up. Once the
original ACRP database is loaded, run
setup.sql to build the extra
tables required before running and of the R scripts for analysis.
RESULTS.markdown contains some useful counts and IDs collected
for reference as well as some notes on some early plots.
Seminar May 2008
seminarMay08 contains R analysis scripts and the resulting
PDF plots used in the seminar Julieanne gave to her faculty in May 2008.
Notice that as I learned more about RMySQL I began moving more and more of the database-related code into R in an effort to make the R scripts completely self-contained.
By default, the SQL mode in TextMate expects the file
exist. The installation of MySQL I'm using puts this file in
To work around this I use the following command:
$ ln -s /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock /tmp/mysql.sock
TextMate SQL View Gotcha
By default, the SQL mode in TextMate will add a "LIMIT 10" statement to the end of queries in the editor that are run using Ctrl-Shift-Q. This is fine for viewing the head of what would otherwise be a large number of rows, but very bad if you are trying to create a view since the resulting view will only contain 10 rows.